Dishwashers have become an essential appliance in every kitchen, and when they stop working, everything else comes to a halt. While washing the dishes by hand is a temporary solution, it does take considerably longer.
Frigidaire is one of the leading appliance brands. If you have a Frigidaire dishwasher that isn’t working, then there’s a good chance that the fix is simple. Here we will go over some quick and simple instructions to get your dishwasher back up and running in no time.
The following Frigidaire dishwashers are covered in this guide:
Check the power
No doubt you have already checked the power source. However, in most cases, a fault in the power supply is the leading cause. If there are no lights or other signs that your dishwasher is on, then here’s what you should look for:
- Make sure the dishwasher is plugged into the wall. Sometimes plugs can get knocked and may get dislodged from the electrical outlet partially or fully.
- Make sure the switch on the electrical outlet is on in case it has been bumped to the off position.
- Check the power cord for any kinks or signs of damage. If the cable is damaged, then it needs to be replaced.
- Try plugging in another appliance to the same outlet to determine whether the electrical outlet or dishwasher is at fault.
Avoid extension cords.
Extension cords are dangerous because they cannot supply your dishwasher with enough electricity. As a result, the extension cord will overheat, melt, and become faulty. Besides being bad for your dishwasher, it’s also a potential fire hazard.
Therefore, extension cords are not safe and are not practical for long-term use. If your dishwasher is too far from an outlet, you could fix this by moving your dishwasher if the water supply can reach the new position. Or, you could get an electrician to install a new outlet near your dishwasher.
Don’t use too many appliances at once
When too many appliances are used in the kitchen, a fuse can blow because the power demand is too high. In particular, devices such as air fryers can easily overload an electrical circuit when the dishwasher is operating. You should also avoid using one outlet for several appliances.
Check the control panel
If the control panel on your dishwasher lights up, then a power supply is probably not the issue. However, before you explore other possibilities that require more effort, it would help to check the control panel first. Your solution could be as simple as changing a few settings to get your dishwasher running again.
Here are some things to look for:
- Some dishwashers have a child lock function, and sometimes it can be inadvertently activated. Make sure that the child lock is off before you start the dishwasher.
- A timer is another function that may get activated by mistake. Ensure that the timer is off if you would like your dishwasher to start instantly.
- Go through your settings to ensure nothing out of the ordinary is selected. Change your settings back if needed.
- Check the control panel for any signs of damage, which may prevent the dishwasher from starting. Unfortunately, you may need professional help to fix it.
- Ensure that no buttons are faulty or sticking when pushed.
Check the latch
All dishwashers have a precautionary feature that prevents them from starting if the latch is broken. The latch ensures that the door is locked and won’t open while washing the dishes.
Pay attention when the door closes. For example, does it feel like the latch is clicking into place how it would normally when you shut the door? If not, there could be a mechanical problem, and it would need to be replaced.
Additionally, some experts use a multimeter to check the continuity of the latch. If there is no continuity, then the electrical component which tells the dishwasher it is locked may not be working. Only use a multimeter if you are comfortable doing so or ask someone for help.
Check the water supply
If the power source of your Frigidaire dishwasher is fine but it still won’t start, then you should assess the water supply next. Here’s a quick guide to checking the water supply:
- Turn on a kitchen tap to ensure that your kitchen has running water.
- If your kitchen has water, then check the dishwasher’s water valve. Ensure that the valve is connected correctly and has no kinks or blockages. Reconnect the valve and resolve any irregularities or blockages if necessary.
- If the valve is fine and your kitchen has running water, you could check the water pressure if you have a water pressure gauge. If the pressure is low, then this could be why the dishwasher won’t start.
Avoid showers while the dishwasher is on
If your house has poor water pressure, then you should try to avoid showers or running a tap for too long while the dishwasher is on. Each dishwasher requires a certain amount of water pressure to ensure that enough water gets into the machine to wash the dishes. If the water pressure for the dishwasher is too low, then it won’t start.
Check the thermal fuse
The thermal fuse is a device usually located inside the inner door panel of the dishwasher. The thermal fuse keeps the components safe from excessive temperatures and will shut down the dishwasher if the temperature becomes too high.
Sometimes loose wiring can cause the thermal fuse to blow. In that case, it would pay to check if any wires are loose or call in a professional to assess the situation. Additionally, some dishwashers can overheat from constant loads. Giving your dishwasher a break between loads can help.
Use a multimeter to check the continuity of the thermal fuse. Remember to switch off the dishwasher first. If there is no continuity, then the fuse has blown, and you need a new thermal fuse for the dishwasher to start again.
Check the control board
The control panel is also located in the inner door panel of the dishwasher. While checking the thermal fuse, you could also check the control board. If there are any signs of damage, such as heat damage, then you should replace the control board.
If all else fails, you could try replacing the control board even if there are no signs of damage. A faulty control panel is quite rare, so this option is best left as a last resort.
Only replace dishwasher components if you feel comfortable doing so.